Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ellie and Fiona

The other day Darran announced that he'd found two baby girl goats on Craigslist. Still on bottles. $50 each.

We had discussed getting goats to eat down the weeds and make our back property all around more usable. We've neglected it for...10 years-ish? Other than the boys and I playing at the creek we haven't done anything with that land. Needless to say the weeds have had a hay day.

Sure, we could use a tractor or some other gas/diesel powered machine to mow the weeds, but how fun would that be? Also, the land is so un-even it might not even be possible. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



I grew up with goats. Raising goats was a big part of my childhood. I showed them in 4-H. You probably didn't realize that you're talking to the Grand Champion in Showmanship at the County Fair in 19.....


Anyways, back to these goats. We decided goats were the best answer to our weed problem and since we'd both grown up with goats we wanted our boys to have that experience too. We'd looked around and who knew goats could be so pricey? I told Darran that I wanted 2 or 3 girls, and only wanted to pay $50 for them. I was beyond excited when Darran found these two on Craigslist. We went and got them last Wednesday. They were 2 weeks old when we picked them up. 


Baby goats are seriously the cutest thing ever. Proof:
Ellie is the one in front with the toothy grin and Fiona is the one who managed to wedge herself behind me.

Video from their first day home:



Soaking up some rays in front of their new house. Darran built it out of old pallets. Yes, he amazes me daily.
My 8 year old has informed me that the next thing he wants to raise is peacocks. I think I've created a monster, LOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment